Friday, June 28, 2013

June Book Reviews

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn: This book is by the author of Gone Girl, which I really enjoyed, and this mystery thriller was also good.  Not AS good, but a nice solid thriller.  Not for those with low edginess thresholds.

Round House by Louise Erdrich: Louise Erdrich was an author I studied in college and I remember enjoying.  It is always a bit of a task for me to pick up books by academic writers because I never know what my mental energy level will be - but this book was mostly plot drive, although also well written.  It was a moving coming of age story that I would recommend to most.

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons: A satire on the pastoral novels of the 1930's.  Fun to read a satire after years and years (since high school) of not doing so.  Written by a woman with great control of language and human emotion.

Columbine by Dave Cullen: I heard about this book from a blogger who always reads books I like, saying it was her favorite book.  So the entire time I am reading it I keep wondering how it makes it to someone's favorite book status.  Not that it isn't interesting.  It is.  Or well written.  It is.  But it is such a strange genre - an academic look at the columbine shootings with a story-telling voice.  The information is so interesting - how the police and media were terribly detrimental to situation. The analysis of the killers themselves is kind of repetitive
.

No comments: