Friday, October 29, 2010

Half The Sky

I am reading exactly seven books right now, so it is a bit of a miracle that I finished one. But I loved this book. I kept coming back to it over all the other books. Nonfiction is not normally my thing, but women's rights are. I don't know why or when it started but I feel so strongly about the rights of women around the world. And now with my own daughter I feel even more defensive about a mother's rights. I kept thinking about the time I spent in Africa and if I did any good there as a volunteer. And in Brazil, volunteering in a very different way. What do I do know. Mike even suggested I go back to Africa. But I have a baby now. And yet don't I want her to see me getting involved. Although they gave review of where to donate money, it feels funny. But maybe that is what I will ask for for Christmas. I think I will pick an organization that serves maternal health, particularly fistulas since I know all about a long labor and yet I had such a lovely staff to assist me.
www.ednahospital.org
www.fistulafoundation.org
www.healafrica.org
www.whiteribbonalliance.org
www.womenforwomen.org
www.worldwidefistulafund.org
www.globalgiving.org
www.kiva.org

"Self-improvement comes mainly from trying to help others." Sir John Templeton

"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw

No comments: