Thursday, July 24, 2014

Book Review {Spring and Summer}

I've fallen behind on recording what I've read, so I'll just give quick reviews

Goldfinch:  Interesting and well written but felt too dark after numerous chapters on teenage drug use and delinquency.  Reminded me of Cather in the Rye.

Too Much Happiness: Second reading, love her short stories.

The Leviathan:  First steam punk young adult book I have read and it was enjoyable.  Maybe a little too teenage boyish for total enjoyment.  But good.

The Ocean At the End of the Lane:  Very clever storytelling but lacked something bigger in my opinion.  I wanted more revealed about truth/the world from the fantasy adventure.  Fast read and fun.

I am Malala: I love this girl.  I respect her parents deeply.  The history of the region was very interesting but a little confusing in the way she told it.  I think this is an important narrative for our generation and should be told and/or read by all involved in making a difference.

Room: So strange to read from a kids point of view the entire time, and by strange I mean annoying.  It was interesting the points the book made and I'm beyond glad it didn't dwell on the darkness of the room, but I was very tired of this little's boy's voice by the end.

No comments: